24 February 2012
- The official Ukranian civil aircraft register (current as of 30 January 2012) is now available for download from the Soviet Transports download page.
4 January 2012
- All production lists and documents on the Soviet Transports download page have been updated with brand-new January 2012 versions.
2 March 2011
- Two new files are now available for download from the Soviet Transports download page. They are Google Earth kmz files compiled by Thomas Hirt, one containing all airports mentioned in the ST database, the other containing the locations of airframes that still need to be identified. Perhaps you can help the Soviet Transports team with this?
22 January 2011
- Did a major update to the GAFHawk 125 page, with many thanks to new owner Jon Anderson. Much new info on this unique aircraft is now available.
6 January 2011
- All production lists and the "Soviet Construction Number Explanations & Locations" document on the Soviet Transports download page have been updated with January 2011 versions.
2 August 2010
- Following the devastating news of yesterday's crash of All West Freight's C-123 Provider in the Denali National Park in Alaska, it was sadly necessary for me to update the All West Freight page and the Con Air Providers page.
30 April 2010
- Added some new facts and photos to the DC-3 Classroom page, about DC-3 N75T at the Colegio De La Salle in Bogotá.
1 February 2010
- All production lists and the Moldovan Aircraft Register on the Soviet Transports download page have been updated with February 2010 versions.
- A new production list for the Antonov 12 has been added.
- But most importantly, a new document "Soviet Construction Number Explanations & Locations" is now available for free download from the Soviet Transports download page. It tells you everything about the Soviet construction number systems for all aircraft types on record in the Soviet Transports database and files. Of course it also tells you where these numbers can be found on or in the aircraft. The document is illustrated with many photos.
8 November 2009
- Did some regular maintenance on the site. Most changes concern the external links, some of which turned out to be dead. These dead links have been updated or removed, and in some cases I was able to make the texts or documents that they referred to available locally on my own site.
12 August 2009
- Reorganised the menu system to show a separate "Air Tankers" section, as a precursor of things to come. No new articles have been added. Yet.
12 July 2009
- All downloadable files on the Soviet Transports Download page have now been updated to the July 2009 versions.
11 June 2009
- Added a paragraph to the Martin Mars page about the nose section of the uncompleted eighth Martin Mars flying boat, now on display at Coulson's visitors centre.
- Added a new pdf file to the Soviet Transports Download page. This file contains detailed
information about various western-built aircraft that saw civil service in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe in the years
following the Second World War.
30 December 2008
- With the fire now two and a half years behind us, I did some updates to the historical and statistical parts of the text
of the Parks
Highway Fire photo page. I also removed most of the links at the end of this page, because by now they no longer
- Also updated the English and Русский versions of the Soviet
Transports pages, to reflect the fact that all that wealth of data on Soviet transport aircraft is now also available in
Soviet Transports online database.
- Finally, the downloadable production lists and registers on the Soviet Transport download page have
all been replaced by the updated versions for January 2009.
14 July 2008
- Did some further work on the DC-3 Classroom page. I emphasized the two important conclusions
from that article a bit more, and I added some more info, as well as a rare photo which shows the DC-3 in its previous
life as an aerial surveyer.
- Made some changes to the DHC-3 Otter CDROM page, which will now allow you to
also download older Updates for Karl Hayes' DHC-3 Otter CDROM.
9 July 2008
- The Soviet Transports team made several more files available for download from this website. This
prompted me to create a separate download page for their goodies.
1 July 2008
- Added a page about a mysterious, beautifully preserved DC-3 being used as a classroom at the Colegio De La Salle in Bogotá,
- Updated the Wanted List.
31 May 2008
- We added the Historical Moldovan Civil Aircraft Register to the Soviet Transports page. It's
a free download, in the form of an Adobe PDF document.
24 January 2008
- Certain things have happened recently that forced me to update the Copyright page. I have also added a general disclaimer,
and consequently the page is now called the Disclaimer
and Copyright page.
14 January 2008
- The new 2008 update for Karl Hayes' DHC-3 Otter CDROM is now available for download from the DHC-3
Otter CDROM page, free of charge.
24 October 2007
- Added a page about the ongoing confusion regarding the "0-" prefix, which was
applied to the tail numbers of many older USAF aircraft between 1954 and 1972.
- Received scans from a very interesting public relations package for the GAFHawk 125. It was too much to add to the
existing GAFHawk 125 page, so created a new GAFHawk PR package
page for it.
- Added two new photos and some links to the Martin Mars page.
22 July 2007
- On the request of the owners I did an update on the All West Airport page. They requested
me to remove certain information, and to point out that All West Airport is a private airport.
1 June 2007
- Added a page about the very unfortunate crashlanding of Carvair N898AT at the Nixon Fork
Mine airstrip near McGrath, Alaska.
14 April 2007
- An important update to the Martin Mars page: the two giant flying boats have been sold!
6 April 2007
- On request of the editorial team of the well-known book "Soviet Transports", I am now hosting two webpages about this magnificent book and about the team's ongoing research efforts on Soviet aviation. One page is in English, the other in Russian.
Note: A quarterly update to the latest edition of the book is available for download from these pages.
3 April 2007
- Received an email with very interesting new information about the GAFHawk's certification problems and about its first years in Alaska. That info has now been added to the GAFHawk page.
- Did some updates to the Parks Highway Fire photo page.
- Although I was able to capture many of the spam emails submitted through my contact page, too many still made it through the content filters. Because of this, I have had to remove the form from the site. Thank you, spammers!
- Also did an update to my Wanted page, adding a short list of the aviation magazines I am interested in.
15 February 2007
- Added an article about Mancro Aircraft Company's C-123T Provider, the so-called "Turbo Provider".
9 January 2007
- Did some updates to the GAFHawk 125 page. Added a new photo too.
8 January 2007
- Prompted by the impending sale of the two giant and rare Martin Mars flying boats, I added two pages about these aircraft, which have been based at Port Albeni/Sproat Lake on Vancouver Island for more than 45 years. There is an article with lots of information and a production list, and there is a photo page showing the launching of one of the two aircraft into Sproat Lake.
29 August 2006
- Added a page on behalf of DHC-3 Otter expert Mr. Karl Hayes from Ireland. Here you can find how to order his excellent CDROM, called "De Havilland Canada DHC-3 Otter - A History", with more than 800 pages of information on this venerable aircraft.
24 August 2006
- Added information and photos to the GAFHawk 125 page about the Hawk Industries MiniHawk, a small-scale flying testbed for the GAFHawk 125.
5 August 2006
- Added yet another special photo to the Isachsen C-82 page. It's a very old one, from 1949, showing the fuselage of the C-82 in the camp.
- Added three new photos to the Ilyushin 14 to Zürich page. One rare photo of the aircraft in green Soviet Air Force colours as "21" red, and two very recent ones.
3 August 2006
- Did a major update on the Isachsen C-47 page. Included many more pages of the official accident report, plus some photos from that report. Also included some very good recent photos of the wreck, taken only a few months ago.
- Added some new photos to the Isachsen C-82 page. Two very nice oldies from 1949, taken from the accident report, and a very recent one.
26 July 2006
- Added a page about some serious airtanker action going on around the Parks Highway Fire, near Nenana in Alaska. Lots of photos there too.
- Did a small but important update to the page about All West Airport.
15 July 2006
- Did a major update on the Arctic Mystery C-82 page in the Mysteries section. Renamed it the Arctic C-82 Crash page in the Articles section, because that particular mystery has now been solved.
14 July 2006
- Added a new photo to the Arctic C-47 Wreck page. It's the most recent shot I have been able to obtain so far.
13 July 2006
- Added a page about All West Airport (AK77) near Delta Junction in Alaska, the home base of Bill Michel's company All West Freight.
- Added a page about the Hawk Industries GAF-125 "GAFHawk 125", a unique aircraft of which only one prototype was built.
- Added a page listing the aviation books I have here on the shelves, and which are used in my research.
- Added a Wanted page, listing some out-of-print aviation books and magazines that I am looking for.
3 July 2006
- Major changes today. Renamed the site from "Realm of Classic Aviation" to simply "Old Wings".
- This of course required a new domain, and www.oldwings.nl was registered today.
- Started work to transfer the site from its old home at http://www.rocav.nl to its new home here.
18 July 2005
- Added new information about recent developments (including a new photo) to the Ilyushin
14 to Zürich page. Also updated the aircraft version to Ilyushin IL-14T, and added the official
wfu date from Russian AF service (taken from the log books).
13 July 2005
- Added two new photos to the Ilyushin 14 to Zürich page.
10 July 2005
- Added the Ilyushin 14 to Zürich page.
30 June 2005
- Added a new page (with official recommendations) to the USAF accident report on the Arctic
C-47 Wreck page.
21 June 2005
- Updated the Con Air Providers page with new info on the current whereabouts of N709RR.
19 June 2005
- Added the Con Air Providers page.
9 June 2005
- Added the Classic Aviation Links page.
- Added the Copyright Issues page.
6 June 2005
- Added the first two photo pages, more to come!
4 June 2005
- Added the Arctic Mystery C-82 page.
- Added the random photo show to the front page.
1 June 2005
- The Realm of Classic Aviation website goes on-line.